Friday 17 June 2011

Taxidermal stuff of dreams

I asked my mum for some taxidermy for my 21st birthday. I am now 26 and there is still a taxidermal shaped hole in life. My problem is I really like expensive taxidermy - like the fireplace grates with 20 woodland birds....... and great big bears.

I might however be willing to save for a mallard lamp:


alexrandall.co.uk


This utterly wonderful creation is by the brilliant Alex Randall (http://www.alexrandall.co.uk/).

Last time I was in London I may have spent a little too much time peering in the window of Jaguar Shoes (Old Shorditch High Street). Jazmine Miles-Long produces the taxidermy and Lilli Cowley-Wood turns it in beautiful printed textiles. I stood there in awe, the outcome is simply stunning and I want it all. If someone would like to make me a dress out of this fabric, I would be mighty grateful!  http://www.taxidermytextiles.blogspot.com/




I ordered some feathers of eBay and was rather shocked when I opened the package and found a whole Pheasants wing. After the initial queasy feeling of pulling the wing and finding its joints still intact, it swiftly made its way onto a fascinator base and into my hair. It has become a firm favourite of mine if ever I feel the need to dress up an outfit. I think I may well wear it to the variety show tomorrow eve.



I don't think you can class Lolo's pieces as taxidermy, but I am going to include them in this post any ho. Lolo Holmes (http://www.etsy.com/shop/missholmes?ref=pr_shop) is an amazing photographer from Leeds. She also collects skulls and bones from the Yorkshire dales applies delicate gold leaf and creates truly unique necklaces. I recently did a stall with her at the Nation of Shopkeepers, I resisted for about half an hour before nabbing one of her delicate pieces for myself. I would post a picture of the necklace I purchased on here (a rabbit skull), but I wouldn't it do anywhere near enough justice (I am not a photographer). Instead here is one of hers:

nightofbones.blogspot.com
There really is nothing like her pieces, they are so very beautiful. I recommend you all go look at her etsy shop now!

My house is going to be an amazing when I am older. I imagine it will be very much like a haberdashery meets the natural history museum meets your grannies kitchen. I cannot wait!

Grand!

BeeAnchor x

No comments:

Post a Comment